Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 33 - 31 Clwb Rygbi Rhuthun | 1st Team

Match Report
19 January 2020 / Team News

Llangefni 1sts 33 Rhuthun 1sts 31

With both sides scoring bonus point tries and just two points separating the teams after 80 minutes this match between Llangefni and Rhuthun wasn’t for the faint hearted.  The first try came after 5 minutes from wing Josh Wilson after good work by the Blues centres but the home side responded almost immediately with a penalty goal from Rhys Hughes.  Rhuthun widened the gap again within 5 minutes with a well worked try by centre Jamie Jones which he converted.  Cefni came back again and with their quick ball and strong forwards play were back over the visitors’ whitewash with an unconverted try from No 8 Aron Jeffries.  Another 5 minutes went by and the Blues 2nd row Chris Davies was released over the try line by Rhuthun’s backs with Jones converting.  Again Cefni responded and after some pressure Hughes kicked a penalty goal.  The score was 19-11 to Rhuthun after 30 minutes and for the last 10 minutes of the first half the game became a bit scrappy and there was no further score.  Straight after the break Rhuthun’s pack were camped on Cefni’s try line and hooker Liam Davies stretched over the try line for the bonus point try.  At 24-11 it looked as though Rhuthun were in control but Cefni had other ideas and in a 10 minutes spell scrum half Aled Jones and hooker Alex Phillips scored a try each which Hughes converted as well as kicking a penalty goal and the home side were in the lead 26-24.  The Blues, not helped by some indiscipline, were having to mount a desperate defence against Cefni’s attack and then went down to 14 men with a red card.  Cefni pressed home their advantage and with 10 minutes to go 2nd row Cai Oliver scored their bonus point try with Hughes converting.  The Blues reset themselves and in the tense period into injury time threw themselves at Cefni’s try line.  2nd row Cameron Lumsden scored with Jones converting and then just as Jones was heading for the Cefni try line for a certain try the ref blew up because of a fracas on the far side of the pitch.  Nothing came of the penalty awarded to Rhuthun and there was a few minutes play and the ball was kicked into touch with Llangefni winning 33-31.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos