Abergele RFC | 1st Team 22 - 25 Clwb Rygbi Rhuthun | 1st Team

Match Report
27 November 2016 / Team News

Abergele 22 Rhuthun 25

Both sides had the same aim in this game – to win their first league game of the season – Ruthin came away with the win but it could have gone either way to the end.  The Blues were first with points on the board with a penalty goal from centre Nathan Jones after 7 minutes of play.   But within 3 minutes Gele had snatched the lead back with a chip over the top of the visitor’s defence  for Jac Gronow to score.  The Blues upped the pressure and after 20 minutes play the pack drove over and hooker Richard Sullivan got their first try but Gele responded immediately with a try from Josh Woods putting them back in the lead at 10-8.  With both sides playing attacking rugby the score kept moving on and after a further five minutes centre Nathan Jones ran through the Gele defence for a fine try which he converted.  It was then Gele’s turn again and after some desperate defence against Gele’s strong running backs Richard Medlicott got the home side’s 3rd try converted by Ben Jones.  The final score in the first half went to the Blues when 2nd row Oliver Powell Jones powered through the defence for a try converted by Jones and putting the visitor’s ahead 22-17 at half time.  Attacking rugby continued in the 2nd half but with both sides anxious to get the win, strong defence and handling mistakes dominated.  The Blues widened the gap slightly with a penalty goal 5 minutes into the second half and missed an opportunity to go further ahead with a goal attempt which went wide 30 minutes in.  After the restart from the penalty goal attempt the Blues spent an anxious last period as Gele mounted another attack and after the visitors went down to 14 men with a yellow card the home side took advantage and Medlicott went over for Gele’s 4th and bonus point try with a minute to go. With the score at 25-22 to Ruthin the visitor’s spent a nervy few seconds before the ball was kicked into touch and the final whistle blew.  Ruthin raised themselves off the bottom of the table for the first time this season albeit only by a point but will be looking forward to their next crucial match at home to COBRA on Saturday 3rd December.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos