Ruthin RFC | 2nd Team 19 - 8 Machynlleth RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
22 October 2019 / Team News

Rhuthun 2nds 19 Machynlleth 1sts 8

Ruthin 2nds bounced back from the previous weeks cup exit at Holyhead with a triumphant victory over the undefeated Machynlleth at home, 19 – 8.


With conditions being damp and the pitch being heavy underfoot, the game was never going to be a high scoring affair nor a flamboyant display of rugby but to their credit both teams made every effort to put on a show for the tailored crowd  supporting. Machynlleth took an well-earned lead with a penalty shortly after kick off after a blazing run by their forwards allowed them to have good field position. Being as Ruthin were insistent on scoring tries, they themselves turned down countless opportunities for penalty kicks, opting for scrums to try and break the try deadlock.


The try deadlock was eventually broken by Luke Lewis even though some of the crowd thought it was Dwayne Speakman Jones sneaking in the corner. With a difficult kick to follow, Deian Williams who had been drafted in for something, duly kicked the conversion.


With confidence at an all-time high, complacency started to creep into the Ruthin side and Machynlleth built on some good phases to spin the ball wide to score under the posts leaving the half time score at 7 -8. The management team at the interval shouted a lot and used many rugby clichés


The second half was again slippery especially as it started raining making the ball difficult to grasp and pass - the resulting scrums were a sanctuary for the heavy breathing forwards and some sensed the doting crowd enjoyed it. With the forwards taking charge of proceedings there was a sentiment of the ball unlikely to go out further than the fly half and percentage rugby prevailed with some good kicking into the corners of the opposition.  The resulting lineout allowed the Ruthin pack to establish a good maul and Bryn Boots to score. To the surprise of the crowd and himself, Deian converted the difficult kick and later admitted he had his eyes shut.


Again Ruthin were able to play some clever rugby, releasing the speedy Ynyr Roberts to score a wonderful individual try and making clear daylight between the two sides.


Finally Ruthin were able to play with a bit of urgency and a good style was developing considering the conditions, however this was interrupted by the injury to the dummy throwing scrum half Steff Parry. With Steff Parry leaving the field options for his replacement at scrum half were not favourable as Captain Joe Mault had to step into the position. With a slight slowing of the pace after this change, Ruthin were having to defend tirelessly to avoid any further scores by Machynlleth. With penalties being conceded at every phase the referee decided to put the new scrum half out of his misery and side line him with a yellow card for his infringements.


The game ended 19 – 8 with a number of good performances but a special mention to two youth team players making their senior team debut, Ollie Jackson and Carwyn Owen, both played very well and made such a good performance they were awarded joint Man of the Match.  

Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos