Pwllheli RFC | 1st Team 19 - 15 Clwb Rygbi Rhuthun | 1st Team
Tudur Parry
2 Try
Iestyn Davies
1 Try
David Gwilym Richard Williams
1 Try

Match Report
04 November 2018 / Team News

Pwllheli 19 Rhuthun 15

Rhuthun travelled to Pwllheli for the 2nd time this season for the preliminary round of the Rybrook Land Rover Conwy Senior Cup and took the opportunity to include a number of youth team players in the squad.  Playing against a strong wind, and in contrast to the previous game at Pwllheli, Rhuthun started strongly and after a few minutes second row Rich Williams went over the line for their first try.  The Blues continued to challenge the home defence but then went down to 14 men with a yellow card and had to put up a tremendous defensive display as Pwllheli tried to take advantage of the extra man.  The Blues returned to full strength and made it back into the home side’s half where fly half Phyl Roberts jigged past a couple of Pwllheli players and offloaded to full back Iestyn Davies who went over the whitewash.  Rhuthun continued to make life difficult for the home side defence and right on half time flanker Tudur Parry charged over the line bringing score at half time to 15-0 to the visitors.  If Rhuthun thought that the 2nd half would be plain sailing with the wind at their backs they had to think again.  Within 5 minutes of the restart No 8 Tom Parry was over the Rhuthun try line with the conversion by substitute Nick Butterworth playing at scrum half.  The weather worsened with squally rain and Rhuthun found it difficult to regain their momentum of the first half.  Man of the match Butterworth was making his presence felt and after 10 minutes was over the Rhuthun try line himself and then converted the try to put the home side within one point of the visitors.  The Blues tried to widen the gap again but then went down to 14 men for the rest of the game with a red card. Although defending valiantly for a long period against Pwllheli’s attack eventually they couldn’t defend against Pwllheli’s pick and run in their 22 and Butterworth went over for his 2nd try.  In now driving rain both sides battled on until the whistle blew for full time and after an exciting and eventful match Pwllheli won 19-15 and go through into the next round.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos