Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 14 - 19 Clwb Rygbi Rhuthun | 1st Team
Nathan Huw Jones
2 Conversion
Emyr Gwynedd
1 Try
Jordan Jones
1 Try
Arfon Thomas
1 Try

Match Report
29 October 2017 / Team News

Llangefni 14 Rhuthun 19

Llangefni and Ruthin fought out their second competitive encounter in two weeks with the Blues coming out on top in this WRU Plate 2nd round tie.  After a brief period of Ruthin pressure Cefni began to put some good play together and with effective offloading and running on to the ball were challenging Ruthin’s defence.  After 15 minutes Mark Gray got through the visitor’s defence for a try converted by Rhys Hughes.  Almost immediately Ruthin had the opportunity to narrow the gap with a penalty goal kick but it went wide.  Nevertheless the Blues kept up the pressure and after some good phase play wing Arfon Thomas collected the ball and ran over for a try in the corner.  Ruthin went straight back on the attack after restart and within a minute centre Jordan Jones was over the Cefni try line again with fly half Nathan Jones converting.  At 12-7 down the home side responded and the game oscillated from end to end before the whistle blew for half time with no further score.  Cefni came out in the second half with all guns blazing and Ruthin had to muster all their defensive resources to withstand the Cefni onslaught.  Repeatedly Ruthin cleared upfield only to find themselves back in their own half on the defence but with excellent scrummaging and all round defensive effort by the Blues, Cefni were denied a score.  After 70 minutes play an attempted penalty goal kick by the home side went wide and then after a great Ruthin scrum against the head on their own 22 the Blues were awarded a penalty. From the resultant line out on half way the pack drove forward and Nathan Jones was released to charge into the home side’s 22 and offload to centre Emyr Gwynedd to go over for the Blues 3rd try which Nathan converted.  With a few minutes to go Cefni were back in the Blues 22 and this time the Blues defence didn’t hold and Greg Horseman went over the whitewash for a try converted by Hughes.  However it was all too late for Cefni and the whistle blew for full time with Ruthin winning 19-14 and looking forward to see who they will meet in the next round.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos