Llangefni RFC | 1st Team 19 - 15 Ruthin RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
22 October 2017 / Team News

Llangefni 19 Rhuthun 15

Llangefni and Ruthin served up a competitive and exciting game of rugby for those that braved the wind and driving rain on Saturday.  Ruthin were first out of the blocks with a penalty goal from fly half Nathan Jones after 5 minutes but were soon on the defensive as Cefni managed the conditions better. After 10 minutes the home side worked their up field from their own 22 with pick and run up to Ruthin’s try line and second row Will Bown went over for a try converted by Rhys Hughes.  The homes side kept up the pressure and after another 10 minutes the Blues were unable to prevent  Tom Williams going over the whitewash with Hughes converting.  At 14-3 down the visitors began to put some effective attacking play together and on around the 30 minute mark wing Josh Wilson was released to race to the touchline and get the Blues first try, converted by Jones.  Both sides continued in attacking mode. The home side missed an opportunity to widen the gap with a penalty goal attempt which went wide and the whistle blew for half time with the score 14-10 to Cefni.  For the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half Ruthin had to withstand a concerted onslaught by the home team and defended well until the 60th minute when Ian Parry went over for an unconverted try.  Again the Blues came back and after a period of good pressure with Llangefni conceding penalties and the Blues opting for scrums the pack drove over with No 8 Alex Pope touching down.  The last 15 minutes were spent in the home side’s half with the Blues trying to get a winning score but Cefni’s defence held and at full time with the score at 19-15 Ruthin had to be content with a loser’s bonus point.  We’ll be looking forward to another competitive encounter between these two sides when they meet at the same venue next Saturday for the WRU Bowl 2nd round. 


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos